Minor update on the Interceptor home front. I haven’t worked on the model in a couple weeks, but I also forgot to post any recent updates- so here we are. Basically a lot of work as continued on the wing section, namely the outside joint from the ‘arm’. It’s a lot of minor detail, so while a lot of work has been done, it may not look like it at first glance.
Viewing entries in
What happened to the AT-ST you may be asking?! Well, it’s sitting on the back burner and I will return to it at some point. Until then, I’ve been working on a new 3D model- the TIE Interceptor. Fans of the TIE series will remember this craft from Return of the Jedi where it made its first appearance.
It’s been a long time since I’ve gotten a chance to do some 3D modeling, in part because of my computer being a dinosaur (you can donate towards my new computer fund, here)and in part because I’ve been busy with other design projects. So it was a pleasant surprise on an otherwise busy weekend to get a chance to sit down and do a bit of work.
It's been a short while since I've gotten a chance to update everyone on the progress of the AT-ST. But I can at least say there's been some decent progress made. The lower leg joints are finished along with the foot pads themselves.
Now with the TIE Fighter finished, the question has been what my next project would be? Well, for now anyways this is where I've decided to go. This AT-ST is actually a rework of a previously made model that I finished a while back.
I'm nearly there. I feel like I keep saying that- but the rear end is finally complete and work has started on the top hatch. It's hard to gauge exactly how much work is left, somewhere between 1/3 and a 1/4 is finished on the hatch. But either way it likely won't be too much longer before I finish up.
So I managed to sneak in a few minutes of work this morning, which brings this model tantalizingly close to actually being finished. But lets take a look at what happened in this last edit.
Unfortunatly, this morning I only had a little time to work on the model. So I can't claim it's finished yet, though I am slowly creeping my way closer and closer. Probably the most notable difference would be the red engine glow I added.
I'm getting real close to being finished with this TIE Fighter and I couldn't be more excited. It's been a fun ride, but it'll be nice to work on something new. As to what that'll be- who knows! Today's work involved a lot of detailing on the full front of the cockpit, the back and some color variation.
Since the previous update, I've managed to finish off the bottom of the cockpit. Which from what I've gathered may work as a bit of a maintenance hatch of sorts. As a result, the model has been constructed in that if I needed to open and flesh out that area- I could in the future. For now, this will be a strictly exterior shot vehicle.
It has certainly been a while, but I'm happy to say I've been able to put in a few hours of work lately into the long overdue TIE Fighter. While the progress has been minimal as of late, I can say I'm certainly excited to revive this project, in hopes of finally finishing it off in the near future.
Things are really starting to take shape here. To start, the storyboard is 100% complete along with prop inventory and a clear understanding of expenses. With a budget of $300 I feel fairly confident I can get any additional supplies I might need (perks of making props for years).
I'm nearing completion on this model. While I may go further in depth as a side project, I'm thinking the paint job will be more than sufficient or the action sequences I have planned at the moment. Motion blur has a wonderful habit of destroying all the hard work you've put into the details!
So first things first, I've become a bit more committed to the notion of producing a Star Wars Fan Film and I might even have all the kinks worked out. But that's for another blog post. In the meantime I've been in the market for a X-Wing, used, but with a lot of love. Perhaps with only one or two previous owners.
About a month or so ago I heard the announcement from JJ Abrams that Disney would be continuing the tradition of the Star Wars Fan Film Awards and though I've never been involved with them before, I've always been interested.
It may not seem like it at first, but I've made some serious progress on the TIE Fighter. First off, there's a cockpit, or least the shell of one. The arms are now fully complete and are only missing a couple details that will tie it together with the cockpit itself; which is why I'm holding off for now.
It's been a busy weekend with Friendsgiving and such, but I have managed to steal some time to finish up the entire central structure of the TIE Fighter wing! Very happy with the way the model is progressing. There is only a small amount of details remaining on the wing 'spokes' which I'll finish up tomorrow and then I can finally start working on the central cockpit.
It may not seem like much progress was made since yesterday's update. But in fact I managed to replace the black panels, correcting the issues I was facing previously. They look pretty sharp now!
I've made some real progress tonight, having finally managed to reach the lower level of the platform. The going is about to get a little tougher though, as it appears the model used in the film has four unique panel sections, which means no more mirroring my actions for the time being. Not the biggest issue, but it'll slow me down for sure.
I've managed to make some real progress tonight, with the top 'layer' basically finished. I may add a few more small panels for the sake of detail, but honestly I don't think they'll actually be needed. The model is intended to be seen from about this distance at its closest anyways.